Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Favorite dinosaur movie.


Someone recently asked me what my favorite dinosaur movie was and I immediately answered "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". They seemed disappointed and I later learned that they had no idea what I was talking about. That fact disappointed me because it's such a classic. Loosely based on a 1951 Ray Bradbury short story, the movie was released in 1953 with special effects by stop-action animation master Ray Harryhausen. Basically, a nuclear bomb test in the Arctic Circle awakens the Rhedosaurus, a quadrupedal partially-aquatic tail waver, who makes his (her?) way south to eventually rampage through New York City.

Don't ask me why buy my favorite part is when the beast attacks a lighthouse. Perhaps it's because it's done all in silhouette.The beast has a ball stomping cars and eating cops, but eventually must be killed. But I don't want to give the entire movie away, so I'll stop there. I highly recommend this movie because it's such fun. But I may be biased because I am a great fan of '50s "B" creature features and sci-fi movies. Try it! You won't be disappointed.

No comments: